The Press Club of Cleveland stands for excellence in journalism and communications. We honor the legacy and build the future by:
- Providing education, training and mentoring;
- Organizing forums to share knowledge and ideas;
- Recognizing those who do it well; and
- Engaging members of the community and having fun.
The Press Club’s vision is that Northeast Ohio always supports thriving, dynamic and top-quality communications professionals, products and platforms that defend and further the public’s right to have access to information.
The Press Club of Cleveland was founded in 1887 to bring together “members of the press” and promote “fellowship” and the profession of journalism.
It has grown into an organization whose membership includes journalists (print, online, broadcast, freelance and social media journalists and anyone working for a media company in Greater Cleveland); associates (public relations, corporate communications, marketing and advertising professionals; political, civic and business professionals; personal bloggers; and vendors) and affiliates (non-local journalists and associates, retirees, educators and students).
In addition to hosting educational and social programs, the club annually hosts two signature programs:
- Excellence in Journalism contest and awards ceremony. Each spring, the club celebrates the best in print, broadcast and online journalism. Hundreds of entries are received from across Ohio and judged by professional journalists from around the country.
- Press Club of Cleveland Journalism Hall of Fame. The club inducts a new class into the hall each fall to honor the rich legacy of journalism and inspire current and future journalists. The physical Hall of Fame – plaques recognizing each inductee, along with the club’s visual archives of large-format photos and murals – resides at Nighttown restaurant in Cleveland Heights (www.nighttowncleveland.com). Nighttown was chosen as the “official home” of The Press Club because of its long and colorful history as a favorite haunt of local journalists since opening in 1965.